Emergency Dispatch services
E-Comm provides emergency dispatch services for a number of police and fire departments within Metro Vancouver, the Sunshine
Coast, Whistler, Squamish and the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (south).
When a caller dials 9-1-1, the E-Comm call-taker will ask “do you need police, fire or ambulance?” The call-taker will also confirm for which municipality and will then transfer the call to the agency the caller has requested. E-Comm call-takers will stay on the line with callers until the service requested answers.
In some cases, 9-1-1 calls are transferred to police and fire agencies that are located within E-Comm. In other cases, including all calls for BC Ambulance, the calls are transferred to agencies outside of E-Comm that provide their own dispatch service. At present, E-Comm provides dispatch for 30 police and fire departments.
E-Comm emergency call-takers and dispatchers are supported by a computer-aided dispatch (CAD) system that allows for swift and easy access to a wide range of information critical to emergency response.
The E-Comm advantage:
- Experienced call-taking and dispatch staff
- CAD system displays residential and business phone numbers and addresses; information is verified by CAD mapping and address system*
- Detailed street maps and other municipal-specific information, such as locations of schools, community centres, floor plans, local landmarks, are at a dispatcher's fingertips
- Police dispatchers can share call and RMS (records management) data across regional boundaries (Lower Mainland)
- State-of-art back-up and redundant systems
- Information can be transmitted immediately to emergency responders through vehicle laptop computers or other devices
- The CAD system will position E-Comm to explore future technologies to support emergency response
- Mutual-aid possibilities are greatly enhanced for officer and public safety
*cellular phones/providers provide only general location information to 9-1-1 call centres and internet phone (VoIP) providers do not provide any location information.back to top