Alternative Resources

Not every non-urgent matter requires a call to your police non-emergency line. Knowing who to call when you have a problem will help ensure you get the assistance you need as quickly as possible, while keeping critical lines free for genuine police matters.

Download and print our Make the Right Call wallet card to help remember these numbers when you’re on the go. Don’t forget to write in your local police non-emergency number and check off if online reporting is available in your area.

Online Crime Reporting Many police agencies now offer online crime reporting for specific non-urgent police matters. To check if online crime reporting is available in your area, visit our find your local non-emergency numbers page.
BC 211 For information and referrals to social, community and government services in British Columbia, call 2-1-1.
BC Crisis Line If you are in crisis and/or distress and require immediate response but do not wish to call the police, call 1-800-784-2433.
BC Hydro To report power outages or for information on power restoration, call 1-800-224-9376 or visit For New Westminster, call 604-239-6100.
BC Residential Tenancy Branch For questions about tenancy laws or to get help with landlord/tenant disputes call 1-800-665-8779 or apply for dispute resolution online.
BC Wildfire To report a wildfire or irresponsible behaviour that could start a wildfire in British Columbia, call *5555 (by cell) or
Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre If you have experienced fraud or a fraud attempt but did not lose any money, call at 1-888-495-8501 or report fraud online. If your info has been lost, please also report to Equifax (1-800-465-7166) and Trans Union (1-800-663-9980). Check out this helpful guide.
City Services Visit your local municipal website for all questions or concerns related to city bylaws including dumped garbage, parking-related complaints or concerns about traffic lights. In Vancouver, dial 3-1-1.
DriveBC For information about road conditions and closures, to help plan your driving route, or for other road infrastructure information, visit or call 5-1-1
HealthLink BC For non-urgent medical questions or information, call 8-1-1.
ICBC To report involvement in a motor vehicle incident, where there are no injuries or imminent threat to public safety and all vehicles are drivable, call 1-800-910-4222 or make a claims report online.