Making a non-emergency call

9-1-1 is for police, fire, or medical emergencies when immediate action is required: someone’s health, safety or property is in jeopardy or a crime is in progress.

If you need police assistance that is not of an emergency nature (for example, your situation is a valid police matter but does not require immediate attention), please use your local 10-digit non-emergency number. Many non-emergency matters can also be reported online, at your own convenience. Find your non-emergency number or online reporting tool here

If you are unsure if your situation is an emergency, dial 9-1-1. Emergency call takers will help determine if immediate action is required or if you should hang-up and dial the non-emergency line.


When should I call 9-1-1?

  • Whenever you—or another person’s—health, safety or property is compromised
  • Domestic disputes, attacks, gunshots, fires and/or smoke, hazardous goods incidents, downed power lines, car accidents with injuries or any other medical emergency that is a threat to life or health
  • An in-progress crime such as theft, break and enter or vandalism (if there is a suspect on scene) or to report an impaired driver
  • A serious crime that has just occurred (sexual or other assault, robbery, child abduction)
  • Suspicious activity (example: a stranger trying to open car doors)

When should I call non-emergency?

  • Reporting a crime with no suspect (example: theft of a license plate or bicycle)
  • Reporting a crime with suspect, but the suspect is not on the scene (example: fraud)
  • Reporting a serious crime with suspect, but with a lengthy delay (example: assault that occurred “last night” at a bar)
  • Non-emergency in progress (example: noisy party)
  • On-going crime issues or crimes that are not in-progress (examples: graffiti or ongoing drug dealing with no suspect on scene)
  • A suspicious circumstance that may indicate an ongoing criminal activity (example: suspected drug lab)

When should I call an alternate resource?

  • If you suspect your car has been stolen, contact your local towing company first to ensure that it has not been impounded
  • Contact ICBC if you have already left the scene of a motor vehicle incident
  • Contact BC Hydro for questions regarding power outages and restoration
  • Contact your local police agency during business hours for information about finger printing, criminal record checks or to request a copy of a police report
  • Contact the BC Residential Tenancy Branch for questions or concerns about landlord/tenant disputes
  • Contact DriveBC for general road conditions and closure questions
  • Contact your local City Services for dumped garbage, parking-related complains, concerns about traffic lights or questions about local bylaws – if there is a concern for public safety call non-emergency (ie. an overgrown tree is obstructing a stop sign)
  • Contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre to report a scam where no money has been lost
  • Contact the BCSPCA and/or Department of Fisheries and Oceans for concerns related to animals that do not cause concern for public safety (i.e. molting seals)

Tips for making your non-emergency call

  • Try to report your non-emergency during the early morning or evening on a weekday to help limit your wait time
  • Be ready with all relevant information when you call about your situation such as your exact address, driver’s license number or vehicle license plate number
  • If you call 9-1-1 for a non-emergency matter, it will not result in a faster response as emergency operators will not take non-emergency reports on 9-1-1
  • 9-1-1 call takers cannot transfer your call to the non-emergency line. You will be asked to hang-up and dial the ten-digit non-emergency number directly

Online crime reporting

  • Reports of crime are not accepted over email or social media
  • Some non-urgent crimes that meet a certain criteria can be reported online
  • Check to see if your local police agency offers online crime reporting