The start of the new school year is a good time for parents and teachers to review 9-1-1 calling tips for kids. We have a number of resources to help kids understand how to use 9-1-1.
Here are some tips for children:
What do I need to know about 9-1-1?
• 9-1-1 is here to help you day and night.
• 9-1-1 is for when you need help from the police, the fire department or an ambulance.
• You don’t need to speak English to get help from 9-1-1.
• A 9-1-1 operator will ask where you are and what’s happening
What happens when I call 9-1-1?
1. A 9-1-1 operator will ask you questions about what’s happening and where you are.
2. Try to stay calm, speak clearly and do your best to answer the 9-1-1 operator’s questions.
3. Follow any instructions the 9-1-1 operator gives you.
4. Stay on the phone and don’t hang up until the 9-1-1 operator tells you to.